Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wow, haven't posted since November.

Well we still haven't gotten into the new house yet. That makes it pretty tough. Also, Bartlesville isn't as big as I remember. While I hated many aspects of the city, I really miss the conveniences. Especially all the different food options. The fact that all my friends are now ~ 7 hours away makes things get pretty boring at times.

So I got a job finally. I'm a quail farmer. I work for an avian research center here that started a Japanese quail breeding facility about 25 years ago to feed their eagles. They raised an amazing amount of Bald Eagles for reintroduction. Since, they have stopped breeding Eagles, but still sell the quail to falconers, herp breeders, zoos, and anyone else that wants them. My job is to raise about 1200-1500 quail a week. At 10 weeks old, I have to kill them, freeze them and prep them for shipping. It's a pretty dirty, thankless job, but the money is good and I'll soon have full benefits from OU (including full access to the university's resources).

So we got a good layer of snow yesterday. Yes 2 weeks ago it was 85 degrees with tornados and now we are covered with snow and it is freaking cold. But in a few days it will probably be in the 70's again. Gotta love early Spring in this area.

2 comments:

Jacob Sawyer said...

Are the quail like button quail? I've always wanted a couple of button quail in the yard.

Jonathan said...

Wow! I haven't checked the blogs in a while...figured I would check and there is actually a new post. I guess now I'll have to post a new one on mine...